Monday, July 02, 2007

Time Reversal

The Word of God holds a collection of interesting accounts written by more than 40 different authors. If you've read it long enough, you'd probably have discovered the unusual writing style (which explains why I still have difficulty with the Chinese version). Let me quote you an example of smth unusual:

When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw Peter's mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him.

When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:

"He took up our infirmities
and carried our diseases."

(Matt 8:14-17)


What I notice here is Jesus healing people, and an out-of-place remark that says he took up our infirmities & carried our diseases. How does healing the people lead to fulfilment of some prophecy, esp when we don't see Jesus exchanging his health with the sickness of the people right on spot? To me, that's exactly what that last verse mean: "Jesus exchanged his health with our sickness - thus taking up our infirmities and 'carrying our diseases' ". He should get sick on the spot (or demon-possessed), but he didn't....

So when exactly did he take up our infirmity and our diseases? It is after he has healed those diseases - at the point of crucifixion. (I'm gettin irritated with typing cuz for some reason I can't undo my typing properly).. and the last verse had to be mentioned way before he took up our infirmity and our sickness - prophecy indeed.

So what's the point I'm trying to make?

I just want to tell you I have as much trouble reading the Bible as you. So find a way to enjoy it.

-Roar



No comments: